Psalm 91:1 “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty”
Think of the secret hiding places we enjoyed as children. Imagine being six years old and finding a secret hiding place.
You slipped inside and it felt magical, right? You felt safe and protected from the world, you imagined you could stay there all the time and no one could find you. Often, you invited your best friend to share it with you, because special places are best shared with someone you love and trust. That is the picture the psalmist is painting in Psalm 91.
God has a secret hiding place, and he invites us to join him there. He does not invite us to visit, he invites is to dwell there, to dwell means to live there.It becomes our address, God invites us to pack up and move to his secret place. Jesus is the secret place of God.
There are conditions to fulfill before before you can access this place;
- John 15:5 “I am the vine; and you are the branches, If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit…” In this passage, Jesus commands us to remain under his secret place of everlasting love, thereby dwelling and abiding in God’s presence
- Psalm 24:3-4“…Who may stand in his holy place? The one who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not trust in an idol and swears by false gods” Here the bible has said it all, for us to dwell in God’s presence, we must be of clean hands, pure heart, and we must be committed to serving God alone.
- We must move away from the world and all its enticements in order to dwell in God’s secret place. 2 Corinthians 6:17 “Come out from them and be seperate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing and I’ll receive you”
There are as well benefits of dwelling in the Lord’s secret place according to Psalm 91
- Christ will be arround us. Psalm 91:1
- The fruit of the spirit takes root and grows in us.
- He will keep us safe. Psalm 91:10 “…no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tents…”
- We will not live in fear. Psalm 91:5 “You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day”
- When we call, he will answer. Psalm 91:15 “He will call on me and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honour him.”
- Assurance of salvation and eternity with God. Psalm 91:16 “With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation”
There is a secret place of the Most high, it is not known by everybody but by those who desire to be there. Christ is ever present in the secret place. It is a place of refuge where we can run to take cover from the arrows of the enemy. God wants us all to dwell in the secret place. Let us make every effort to be there at all times!
Thanks for reading this post, Psalm 91 is good psalm to read over and over again. Memorize it and let it become a part of you. You’ll be surprised at the tremendous blessings God bless you.